Visual Arts in 2nd Grade
Students begin to refine and manage rudimentary art vocabulary with increasingly more advanced art concepts. They begin to manipulate and build with a variety of media as well as improve eye/hand coordination with pencil, brush, scissors, and various art tools. Students are also introduced to famous artists, art movements, and art history.
Throughout 2nd Grade, students will:
- Reinforce cutting, gluing, folding and placement of objects skills
- Learn about and utilize positive and negative space in drawing
- Build upon fine drawing skills and attention to detail
- Explore more complex perspective in landscape utilizing foreground, middle ground and background areas.
- Encourage imaginative use of color in an expressionistic composition advances knowledge of color.
- Blend colors in paint to create secondary and tertiary colors.
- Learn about printing through a mixed media project
- Continue working in three-dimensions in various media, including clay and glass.
- Learn about and explore concepts of transparency, translucency and opacity
- Advance their understanding of the concept of balance in a composition with 2D and 3D
- Study various artists continue in connection with projects