Grade 8 Math
In all grade levels in Middle School, students utilize the Math in Focus Texts as well as additional resources to follow Singapore Math practices, align with Common Core and develop their proficiency in the following nine mathematical practices set forth by the National Council of Teachers of Math and the Mathematics Education Leadership Association:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- Solve problems in novel ways and pose new mathematical questions of interest to investigate.
Students study arithmetic, algebraic operations, and other skills as critical tools in solving problems of progressively greater complexity. Through engaging explorations and investigations, each student is challenged to achieve conceptual understanding.
Algebra I is a curriculum based on Singapore Math In-Focus Texts A & B Course 3.
Each unit in Math In-Focus focuses on a particular area of mathematics while presenting students with guided opportunities for mathematical analysis and problem solving. Students are also being prepared to enter High School-level mathematics, and a high priority is placed on test preparation and practice. Topics covered in Algebra I include:
- Spiral Review: Algebra Basics
- Exponents, Exponential Functions, and Parent Functions
- Multi-Step Equations & Inequalities
- Linear Equations
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Polynomials & Factoring
- Quadratic Equations